[geeks] bahahahaha.

Amy geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 06:51:15 CST 2001

oh fun. the public vs. private debate. i went to both, graduated from your
average (underfunded, overcrowded)local public high school after getting
the majority of a good education from a local, rather exclusive private
day/boarding prep school. i grad'd in 92, for a generation reference.

private school was very cloistering and extremely limiting, socially. at
mine, we were all sheltered from how normal joes work and react towards
one another and the interactions you'd get would be piss-wars between
those students who came from money and those who didnt. granted, the
education received was incredible....but the snobbishness that we
received, saw, and participated in was horrific. literally, a lot of these
kids went off to college thinking they were the greatest thing since
sliced bread just cause their last name was X and they came from family
money and went to this school. i imagine it was quite an eye-opener for
most when they found themselves to be one of a crowd in a large
university. the crim in the school was terrible..the richer the students
are, the more they will steal. the drugs were easily available, probably
because there were too many bored boarding students with money. stuff like
that.

public school was where, in my case, i was allowed to be myself. while the
education was limited to what classes you would choose and work for vs.
what you were forced to take (which is the major educational difference
between public and private schools, imo), the kids were much, much more
accepting. socially it was much kinder, i suppose. there was less crime
than in private school and less hazing as well. also less instances of
drugs running amuck.

were i to have kids i'd probably send 'em to public school and watch 'em
like a hawk on what subjects they'd take and the degree of studying was
being done. after experiencing both i've found that its not the money that
you fork over that gives you a foot in the door..its the amount of work
thats done.

remember, stupidity is a learned aspect. if parents dont teach kids to
look both ways before crossing the street, the kid aint gonna look. i know
it annoys the hell out of me when i see moms and dads with 15 kids hanging
around them just darting across a mall parking lot while momm and dad are
yakking away on cellphones not paying attention. such people shouldnt be
allowed to breed.

i dont think the kids have changed much. unfortunately i think the quality
of parenting has.

--a