[geeks] ARGH. KVMs

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 9 08:21:13 CST 2001

At 10:02 PM 12/7/2001 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 10:01:49PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   That's funny..."datacenter-grade kvms"...since kvms are used primarily
> > with PeeCees, does that imply there are datacenter-grade PeeCees??

Once company I was at had a bunch of the Cybex Autoview Commanders
setup in a nice config. They had a mix of PC and Sun hardware, which
the Cybexs handled quite nicely with different 'personality' cards
in each slot.

All the equipment there was setup on 'bread racks', with each rack
having a commander. Each commander had two user (output) modules,
one that went to a local Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor and one that
went to a master switch that had 3 heads on it on a table on the
side of the room. From each local head you could get to any machine
in the rack and from the master desk you could get to any machine
in the room. It was a really nice setup.

-john