[geeks] seeking 802.11 advice

Kurt Mosiejczuk geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 16:29:54 CST 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Also, for 802.11 pcmcia cards...whose cards do you like and dislike?

It depends how you are going to use them...  I have had good success
with the Dell (re-badged Lucent) NIC work gave me.

I bought a Linksys NIC for use at home, and it works great under Linux,
but under evil Win98, I've either had VERY bad throughput or no luck.

The bad throughput is due to the signal being marginal and the linksys
configuration app constantly doing re-scans.  I've seen on forums
(long after I bought the card) that the Linksys cards generally
have terrible range.

Although, using it under Linux, I had no problems...

Go figure.

--Kurt