[geeks] Racing Segways

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 5 16:13:54 CST 2001

> Of course, with greater acceleration comes greater angle of lean to go
> forward. I can imagine drag-Segway "drivers" leaning almost parallel with
> the ground (like a ski-jumper to his ski's) coming off the line. Maybe
> little steel skidplates for the drivers knees and the handlebar post.

You'd have to tweak the angle at which it begins to accellerate - like a
high-stall torque convertor in bracket racers.  Talk about an excersise in
trust - fall forward till you're nearly paralel and suddenly you're
rocketing down the sidewalk.

There would be a ton of engineering difficulties to overcome.  You'd have to
find some way to balance the power of acceleration with maintaining a stable
platform.  All of that would have to result in not slamming the rider
backwards when the power kicks in.

Would wheelie bars be allowed, or would you need to do it in a "stock
class"?  Maybe we could do stock, sportsman, and modified classes - as with
amature automobile bracket racing.

Sounds fun...

Kurt