[geeks] Mac Quadra is up and running... Tee-hee!

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 15:00:47 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 02:20:24PM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> > My next issue will b to find a browser to start getting software on the machine - I suppose there is some sort of browser on the System 7.6 CD (HotDog or some such silly named browser), correct?
>
> Probably Netscape 3 or something.  I would find the latest Netscape for
> 68k.  Otherwise I'd try to find a good lynx port if you don't care about graphics.
> It'd be faster for normal surfing. :)
> iCab has a 68k version.  It's a very nice browser but is only a preview
> release.  It will expire after a while.  Other than that I'd take it
> over Netscape any day (once they fix the Java).

In theory (I have doubts that reality is as nice) something as simple as
mozilla should have no trouble.  In reality, some body really needs to
spend a lot of time profiling and optimizing Mozilla.  Page rendering
feels fast, but the rest of it seems slow.  Doing this on any platform
would probably be a large help to all platforms.  I'd do this if I could
get the source code to ever compile cleanly.

 > I set the screen to 8XX x 6XX as that was as high as I could go with thousands of colors (1024x786 only offered 256 colors) - can VRAM be upgraded on this box? I'd love to go 1024x768x(thousands)...
>
> Non upgradable 1MB VRAM - GURU.  That's all it'll do.  Maybe a different
> NuBus Vid Card...

Yeah, make it a dual head machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd