[geeks] 0000000F 0000000C (pronounced "oooh fok")

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 23:39:12 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 10:12:43PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
>     Is there a "best" software release for this box? (considering the
>     specialty hardware installed) 7.X? 8.0?

Check out sites like Lowendmac.  If you really want to use the AV card,
you probably should stick with 7.x, and I think x should be less than 6,
but I'm not positive.

>     Anyone have an old copy of the OS available? AFAIK it looks like
>     Apple considers all software before OS 8.1 obsolete, and disk images
>     can be downloaded, but only on Mac boxes, so I don't think there is
>     a license concern - am I correct?
>
>     It looks like 36 bit 70 ns or faster RAM should be fine, can anyone
>     confirm this?

Lowendmac.com

>     It looks like a CPU speed-up can be arranged for $50 +/- - is it
>     a worthwhile investment for a play machine?

It depends on what you want to do.  I believe that all CPU upgrades for
that machine require ditching the AV card.  But then, you probably don't
feel like hacking the DSP anyway, so it's up to you.  Ditching the AV card
would certainly make OS choice easier.

--
Joshua D. Boyd