[geeks] Careeer shifting

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 19:22:40 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 08:21:57PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Second, the E10K has the magical ability to appear/operate as if it were
> several smaller boxes (by partioning the system CPUs to different *whatever
> they are called*(I have never worked with one)),a nd finally, Mainframes are

domains.  and a domain is nothing at all like a Virtual Machine.  on a mainframe
when it's your turn to run, you get the entire machine.  when you split an e10k
up into domains, each "machine" is limited to what you allocate to that domain.

> *typically* an *order* of magnitude faster at I/O than almost anything
> else... Mainframes are designed for throughput first, then CPU speed - E10K
> (in my opinion) was the reverse (focus on CPU first, then bring the I/O up
> to snuff).

i have yet to see a mainframe with a CPU that can touch anything else on the
market.  i also have yet to see anything else on the market that can touch the
I/O of a mainframe.

-brian