[geeks] Careeer shifting

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 19:21:57 CDT 2001

Unless you have DB/2 on a mainframe somewhere in the equation, Oracle might
be a better choice... DB/2 is native to S/390 arch, much like Solaris is
native to SPARC...

AS/400 is not a mainframe. Period.

As for teh E10K not being a mainframe, there are several reasons, and they
start with marketing: Sun spent a lot of money declaring the mainframe
dead - they don't want to appear stupid by turning around and selling one!
Second, the E10K has the magical ability to appear/operate as if it were
several smaller boxes (by partioning the system CPUs to different *whatever
they are called*(I have never worked with one)),a nd finally, Mainframes are
*typically* an *order* of magnitude faster at I/O than almost anything
else... Mainframes are designed for throughput first, then CPU speed - E10K
(in my opinion) was the reverse (focus on CPU first, then bring the I/O up
to snuff).

I could be all wrong here (Wave to Pete! Help!), but I think I am
*generally* correct...

Ken