Wargo does a rant (was Re: [geeks] Cool Mac deals...)

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Aug 26 03:03:59 CDT 2001

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, joshua d boyd wrote:

> You hated them due to a botched challenge install, right?  Remeber, I'm a
> major graphics geek.  What I want primarily (at this time) is massive
> texturing performance.  And to my understanding, the only thing that beats
> the texturing of an O2 is an Onyx2.  Nothing in a PC has come close yet to
> my understanding, especially if you want more than 32/64/128 or whatever
> the card has for video memory.  Wanting more is a very real posibility for
> me.   I'm thinking photoshop in hardware.

I tend to think more in terms of reliability, servicability, and
bang-for-the buck.  If I want a good photoshop system, a G4 is the way to
go.  (I'm just sitting here, gnashing my teeth waiting for an OS X
verison...)

For *NIX platforms, I prefer SunOS/Solaris.  Not because I work for them,
but because over the years SunOS has hurt me less than other OS's.  IRIX
is a flying piece of shit, almost as bad as HP-UX.  AIX has some redeeming
features (a JFS early on, fer example), but is an administrative
nightmare.  OpenBSD is nice, as is FreeBSD.  Linux used to be cool, until
Linus turned into an arrogant twat and it got as bloated as Solaris.  BSD
beats SysV, and the best ever was SunOS 4.1.1_u1.

Actually, it's all been shit since about 1988 or so.  I miss the 680x0
arch, and the Sun 3/60 is still the coolest workstation ever built.

NeXT was cool, too.  Good OS, but the MO drive sucked the big weenie.

Sun Should've never ditched the Sbus, it's smaller and much better than
PCI.  SCSI rocks, but give me firewire disks, I'm tired of ID's,
termination, and having to kill innocent chickens just to get my drives to
work.

Any system that lets you take it apart without giving you scars (I have
multibus scars all over my hands) is for wusses.  VMS rules, was, is, and
always will be DEC's best gift to mankind after the PDP-11.

Keyboards now all suck as well, 1988 was the high-water mark.  (Remember
the Zenith Z-100?  THAT was a keyboard.)  Sun's type-6 makes me want to
spew lung butter all over the cosmos.

Things were better with blinkey lights - you could walk by a rack of disks
and see where your hot spots were w/o having to fire up a stupid damn
Veritas Java GUI that runs slower than a lame poodle through lime
Jell-O(tm).

Java SUCKS! (Sorry Scott, can I keep my job?), Perl sucks, Python is cool,
as is PHP.  Sendmail killed most of my brain cells, Apache rocks, and I
love DSL.

Needless to say, MS Windows blows.  Seriously.  I would say that all
Mickeysoft software bites, but IE for the Mac is pretty cool, and much
more stable than Nutscrape.  Word and Excel were Mac applications long
before Windows, and I ran PowerPoint on the Mac long before Mickeysoft
bought it.

Apple should've never killed the Newton, Jobs owes me a free TiBook for
that one.  The Palm pilot is cool, the Handspring line is cooler.

MP3's are a neat thing, but I prefer a dbx-equipped Reel-To-Reel running
at 15ips.  Analog is more fun than digital, and real sex is more fun than
MUDs.

Real hackers speak proper english, don't tack "z"'s onto the end of every
damn word, and have a code of ethics.  Real hackers also prefer flat foods
and massive amounts of cola.  Also, programming stoned is far more
productive, and C++ is actually a cruel joke designed to keep hardware
companies in business by creating bloated code that requires a gigahertz
processor just to read email.

People who send me Excel spreadsheets as attachements are clueless, ditto
for Word, PowerPoint, and anyhting else except plain text.  Network
Solutions (formerly the InterNIC) can eat me.

"Waiter, more wine!"

....and that's my rant.

-Pete
 (I just felt like letting it all out.)