[geeks] Databases

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 12:58:17 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:16:39PM -0400, Mike Dombrowski wrote:
> Actually, I've heard that MS SQL is pretty nice - people have referred
> to it as MS's best software. It can scale much larger than most of the
> free databases and it quite quick on nice hardware. I played around
> with it for a bit and found it pretty nice also but I didn't do much
> digging.

Yeah, but extensibility is a crock, especially the "custom" datatypes
(which are just constraints on regular fields, rather than news ways to
understand and query data).  And the only way to write stuff in it is with
SQL or calls to external DLLs, so no stored procedures in Perl, Python,
Java, or C really.

--
Joshua D. Boyd