[geeks] Careeer shifting

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 12:13:49 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:01:41PM -0400, Wolfgang Engelien wrote:
> >Trying to look at their web site.  What does your lab do by the way?

> Functional Neuroimaging - Identifying brain functions by
> designing special cognitive tasks, measure them in an MRI
> scanner with adapted sequences, computing the image and
> behavioral data with some statistical and physiological
> models. The database should be for all collected data and
> help organizing the huge amount of image data (We will hit
> the TB mark soon). At the moment its organized by the file
> system structure and a bunch of staroffice-excel files...

With regards to Postgres, Postgres doesn't handle BLOBs well.  It's
strength is if you can teach to understand the data rather than just treat
it as a BLOB, and that doesn't seem so usefull here.  However, I
don't think anything handles BLOBs that well (compared to a modern FS that
is), and most people seem to recommend for tasks like this that you keep
the images in the file system still, and just use the DB to manage the
images.  But, you probably thought of this already.

--
Joshua D. Boyd