[geeks] Careeer shifting

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 08:30:57 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:12:17AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:41:56PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > What is better?
> > I gather that DB2 on a mainframe tends to whoop it's ass, but I don't
> > know any specifics.
>
> i know from age-old experience that mainframes RULE in this area.
>
> think about it.  what is a database but a whole buttload of I/O?  and what does
> I/O better than a mainframe?  nothing that i know of.

Don't Crays do better IO?  Maybe we could try to vectorize Postgres and
then we could open a new market for Cray to sell used machines to.

I don't have the widest range of DB experience, but what I do have tells
me that I really love Postgres.  And MS-SQL really offends me.  It
wouldn't if they didn't try to advertise it so hard.  In my opinion it is
only slightly more sophisticate than MySQL, but they try and say that it
is more powerfull and more flexible than anything, and that just ain't
true.

Still haven't used DB2 yet...

--
Joshua D. Boyd