[geeks] Careeer shifting

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 02:12:17 CDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:41:56PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > What is better?
> I gather that DB2 on a mainframe tends to whoop it's ass, but I don't
> know any specifics.

i know from age-old experience that mainframes RULE in this area.

think about it.  what is a database but a whole buttload of I/O?  and what does
I/O better than a mainframe?  nothing that i know of.

> While I'm thinking of it, I just found out that they replaced the S/390s
> at my dad's office with some new IBM mainframe.  Anybody know anything
> about these?  I'd like to take a stab at the mainframe world, but it
> seems to be one of those "closed systems".

last mainframe i used was a house sized beast at PSU (PSUVM) and so i'm a
little out of date.

-brian