[geeks] Re: Mission of Burma

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:16:27 CDT 2001

jduksta at genuity.com writes:

>Funny, Andrea and I were talking about Mission of Burma
>yesterday. She used to be acquainted with one of the guys from
>MoB. Apparently one of them used to work at a local video store
>(VideoSmith) in Jamaica Plain (a neighborhood in Boston) and also
>at a used record store on Newbury street (fashionable shopping
>district in Boston).

>It sucks that members of one of the most influential bands of the
>last 20 years has to work a day job to pay the bills.

*All* members of influencial bands are working shit jobs. The bands
that make it big are never the innovators. (Yeah yeah, there are
some exceptions. They are rare.)

About 1/4 of my CD collection is friend's bands, and not *one* of
them makes a living off of it.

One of my friend's bands has toured Europe three times, US countless
times, Australia, and Japan, released numerous albums, are universally
considered the Gods of their (admittedly niche) genre, and they're broke
with shitty day-jobs.

But at least they're all being watched and ripped off by MTV bands!

Ha ha.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------