[geeks] solaris 2.5.1/ppc cd found

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 18 18:52:03 CDT 2001

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 04:15:09PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> If you're scared you'll be risking your job if you try to use a better
> OS platform to do your job then you're probably in a very unstable and
> risky situation in the first place.  That could be either because you're
> at the very bottom of the food chain; or maybe it's because you've
> already got enough tensions in your workplace that any excuse will do.

Ever thought of "I use what they tell me to use, and it works, so I dont
necessarily need to *change*".  I do a perfectly good job administrating
over 70 UNIX boxes (Sun, SGI, HP-UX, DEC/Compaq) by using a Windows machine
running eXceed and a SSH client.  This also lets me run Outlook, Word, Excel,
and Visio, all of which are required (at least for interoperability with my
coworkers).  It also lets me watch the occasional Quicktime or Windows-Media
format video/movie, etc.  Just because I *could* have a UNIX box on my desk
as my main machine doesent mean its the best thing for the job *in this
particular situation*.

I also have a HP C110, a SGI Indigo2, and a DEC Alpha box in my cube, if
that makes you feel better.  I just happen to use the Windows box to
access all of them.

bill

--
Bill Bradford