[geeks] summary of my hack..

James Sharp geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 20:52:38 CDT 2001

> You are going to rebuild the box from scratch, aren't you?  It is off
> the network now?

Already done.  Data restored from tape backup.

> > For those of you who don't know, there's a major root remote exploit in
> > almost every BSD based telnetd.
>
> Yet another reason for not running telnetd.  I run ssh everywhere, telnet
> nowhere.  And for those rare occasions when the firewall won't let me
> ssh out, well I just happen to have HTTP tunnelling set up* on my Linuxy
> router.

I use telnetd with kerberos.  Local passwords suck and trying to keep ssh
keys between the 18 machines I have running right now sucks even more.

Sure, I can use ssh with kerberos password authentication, but I much
rather use the full kerberos ticket granting scheme for authentication.