[geeks] News server access

Kurt Mosiejczuk geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 13:51:13 CDT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, David Cantrell wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:08:18AM -0400, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> > I find ftp less evil in that when it was created, NAT
> > was just not something that was done.
> I suppose the same applies pretty much to irc.

I didn't lump irc in with that as I'm not actually familiar
with how irc works... for all I knew, it could be really evil =)

> > Or, do you have other reasons to think ftp is evil?
> It strikes me as being somewhat inefficient to use two channels, but
> other than that, no.  Plenty of *implementations* of it are evil.
> <cough> wu-ftpd </cough>

I seem to recall that the multiple connections was to provide
a lot of flexibility with multiple streams happening at once...
or I could just be on crack.  Regardless, I think the flexibility
they wanted to provide was never really used by anyone...

--Kurt