[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 13:52:06 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 02:46:29PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> With the right T1, you can use it to call your ISP (via 56k modem) and
> your mom.  And apparently sprint has this deal where you get a T1 to them,
> and all continental calls are the same price, and it worked out to be
> slightly cheaper than making local calls off the T1.  A company that I
> worked for was just under the border of making such a thing worthwhile,
> and so every few months, the topic came up.

a T1 is nothing more than a bunch of multiplexed ISDN channels.  you can run
a T1 and only use half the channels for data and the other half for phone lines
if you want, or in any combination.  they are really rather flexable.  if you
are setup to use the T1 for phones (like i said before, not cheap) you can
dynamically re-assign channels from phone to data and back.

> But, that doesn't really help with web hosting.

sure it does.  if it was done right.  looks like sprint somehow figured it
would be cheaper or easier or something to run a T into your house instead
of a bunch of copper lines.  not that it makes a whole lot of sense to me, but
then what do i know.

> BTW, Penn State used to (as of 3 years ago) offer ISDN dialup for free to
> students (assuming the student had an ISDN line at home).

right, they didn't have to pay ISP charges.  but you still paid for line charges
and ISDN in state college is metered.  so you didn't have to pay ISP changes
probably saved you what, $20-$30 a month?  but it was also free to dial in with
a modem over analog lines, which is unmetered, so it was basically free. :)

-brian