[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 13:46:29 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 02:47:14PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Yeah, ISDN was never meant to compete with a T1 - the beauty of ISDN is that
> if you order it right, you really only pay for time you use - aside from
> $20/mo to maintain the link.
>
> Also, ISDN is routable, meaning I can take my ISDN line and call my ISP,
> call your ISP, call my mother if I want - I can't re-route a T1 by simply
> "dialing" another number. ;^)
>
> With ISDN you are paying for flexibility, with a T1 you are paying for
> speed.

With the right T1, you can use it to call your ISP (via 56k modem) and
your mom.  And apparently sprint has this deal where you get a T1 to them,
and all continental calls are the same price, and it worked out to be
slightly cheaper than making local calls off the T1.  A company that I
worked for was just under the border of making such a thing worthwhile,
and so every few months, the topic came up.

But, that doesn't really help with web hosting.

BTW, Penn State used to (as of 3 years ago) offer ISDN dialup for free to
students (assuming the student had an ISDN line at home).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/