[geeks] Cable vs. DSL debate

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 13:09:27 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 01:06:26PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Let's make a list of all the DSL "providers" that own their own facilities,
> then let's take a look at their financials. Now, how many will still be in
> business in 12-24 months.
>
> SBC/Verizon/BS/Ameritech (is that all) will be the only games in town in the
> not to distant future, IMHO.

D&E offers DSL I believe.  They are small, own everything, and don't
actually serve my area.  I haven't heard any complaints about them though
(other than people griping about also not being in their service
area).  But, in D&E's area, they are the main phone company, not Verizon.

> Oh, I'm sorry, who is the largest cable company - AOL/Time-Warner? LOL.

See, if I would just move to Ephrata PA, I would be closer to the
Lancaster Airport (could be important if I start my own company), and I
would be able to get D&E phone service, and also Blue Ridge cable (which
also offers stellar internet service by all accounts).

Around here, Comcast seems to be the biggest cable company.  They reach
pretty far up and down the east coast to my understanding.

> They will find a way to inject ads everytime you switch the channels, mark
> my words...

Petition your local township to expel them, leaving room for a better
company to come in.

> AOL cried like a stuck pig for cable companies to open up their cable plant
> to outside ISPs, now that *they* are the largest cable company, it seems the
> cable market is plenty open...

I just try to remeber that despite all the problems, I still prefer my DSL
to dial up, and it is also more reliable.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/