[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 12:52:32 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 12:50:56PM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:

> > Verizon does PPoE i think.  that's probably the software he's talking about.
> > glad i don't need that crud.
>
> And what have you got that you're so happy with?

Covad line from DCA Net.  never had any trouble with my line.  bullshitted with
my tech support guy about networking in general for about 3 hours on the phone
once.  saw the president of the company lecture in philly and talked to him for
a while afterwards (this was before i got DSL).  they just flat out rule.  they
were willing to do anything, all i had to do was ask.  6 IPs? free.  coulda had
14 if i had wanted.  didn't feel i needed that many.  it's actually 6+1 IPs
since i have a Covad IP for my router.  when i asked if they could route my /29
to my router on the covad ip they asked me how long it would be till i was
ready to do it.  no questions asked, no requests denied.  no extra fees.

maybe that's why they went out of business, but i find that hard to believe.
they existed pre-DSL/cable selling dialup, T1's, T3's and Frame-Relay of every
shape and size.  they are a total kick ass business.  i can't understand why
they didn't make it.

life sucks sometimes.

-brian