[geeks] News server access

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:16:44 CDT 2001

[PPoE}

> I guess it isn't that bad.  Most people seem to be moving to it.  For one
> thing, it is probably the best way (or so I'm told) to keep people from
> grabbing multiple IPs (without tieing service to a MAC, which sucks even
> more).

it sucks.  plain and simple.  you are taking something as simple and elegant
as ATM and you are throwing this layer of garbage on top of it.  that's
rediculous.  grabbing multiple IPs can very easily be stopped without using
PPoE, and the tieing a service to a MAC is just the stupidest thing i've ever
seen.  well, strike that, tieing a service to a *COMPUTER'S* MAC.  the DSL
bridge (it's technically a bridge, not a modem) has its very own MAC address if
it's ethernet based, if it's not ethernet based (USB) i think it still gets a
MAC address since i *think* the USB ones are just USB attached ethernet hardware
with DSL/ATM bridge hardware like the non-USB ones.  so as long as you only
have one IP address *WHY* is the IP address attached to the machine's MAC
address instead of the bridge's IP address?  that makes no sense.  i could
understand if you had multiple computers and got multiple IP addresses, but
for single IP addresses?  stupid.

> I do hate that Verizon advertises as always being on.  They are not always
> on.  I frequently have to go disconnect then redial.

i think that has to do with the fact that you are using verizon for you DSL
service.  they have a hard enough getting phones working right and they've been
doing that for a REALLY REALLY long time, what chance to they have with some-
thing new like DSL? *evil grin*

-brian