[geeks] News server access

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:05:18 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 11:56:30AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:44:19PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Thank $deity that I'm on a business ADSL scheme, and so I get a proper
> > router instead of those crappy USB things, and I get my own static routable
> > subnet.
>
> Err, PPPoE generally doesn't use USB devices.  This is because the E
> stands for ethernet.  I suppose that you could hook the modem up using one
> of those cheap usb -> ethernet gadgets, but why if you have spare slots?

In .uk, 'business' users get a proper router which is Just Another Ethernet
Device, and the domestic peons get a nasty little USB thing which doesn't
work well with anything other than Winduhs.  Yeah, I know what PPPoE is,
I was just degenerating into a generic 'all domestic service sucks' rant.

> > I've had to do that once, because of a network upgrade.  #include std_grumble_
> > about_ISP_not_telling_me_in_advance
>
> Some of it I think is flakiness, and other times I think that it
> deisconnects due to an inactivity timeout somewhere.

I'm not aware of there being an inactivity timeout on mine - but then
there's a fairly constant stream of email*, web serving, DNS serving etc
so no opportunity for a timeout.  Oh, and there's usually at least one
active login from somewhere in the world.

* - mainly you lot** - I go away for a couple of days over the weekend and
come back to nearly 300 messages from rescue alone!  Most of which I
deleted unread after just skimming the Subjects.

** - well OK, maybe a quarter of it is you lovely people

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson