[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 10:56:30 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 04:44:19PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 10:30:18AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > I guess [PPPoE] isn't that bad.  Most people seem to be moving to it.  For one
> > thing, it is probably the best way (or so I'm told) to keep people from
> > grabbing multiple IPs (without tieing service to a MAC, which sucks even
> > more).
>
> Thank $deity that I'm on a business ADSL scheme, and so I get a proper
> router instead of those crappy USB things, and I get my own static routable
> subnet.

Err, PPPoE generally doesn't use USB devices.  This is because the E
stands for ethernet.  I suppose that you could hook the modem up using one
of those cheap usb -> ethernet gadgets, but why if you have spare slots?

> > I do hate that Verizon advertises as always being on.  They are not always
> > on.  I frequently have to go disconnect then redial.
>
> I've had to do that once, because of a network upgrade.  #include std_grumble_
> about_ISP_not_telling_me_in_advance

Some of it I think is flakiness, and other times I think that it
deisconnects due to an inactivity timeout somewhere.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/