rezoomes Re: [geeks] motorolla powerstack?

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 9 09:55:02 CDT 2001

> Interesting. I think you're doing it backwards. I get the $200K/yr
> offers in Manhattan, but I think it's ony because I call them. I have a

Well, depends on your defenition of backwards.  For me, moving me and my
family to Manhattan is backwards.  Working for huge companies is backwards.
Wokring a defined schedule (including unpaid overtime) for 5 days a week is
backwards.

I prefer to work for slightly less money, for small companies that give me
freedom to do all sorts of stuff, at oddball hours (if I get paged by the
webserver at 1am and need to fix it - I don't get the office till noon), get
loads of experience, use open-source products to do stuff inexpensively
(instead of spending the GDP of small African countries on "supported"
software).  It's all about the journey - to put it in Zen terms.  To put it
simply - I get to be creative in my work, even when managing the folks who
work for me.

I *never* use personal contact ot get jobs - and never hire friends.  I want
my friends to stay friends - so I don't offer them jobs, or introduce them
to people with open positions.  I refuse to use my own personal contacts to
get jobs - I would have to be in pretty dire financial straights to depend
on friends or friends of my family for work.

Basically - I refuse to move or work in the big cities.  I grew up in OH
corn country - the city is about as foreign to me as Mars.  There might be
more money there - but you also spend more money - and it ain't as
comfortable as the suburbs.

Kurt