[geeks] Three heads

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 14:33:58 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 12:21:07PM -0700, koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> >Of course, in recent years, in many areas the US seems to be heading more
> >towards European ways of doing things.  I'd say hopefully Bush will
> >reverse some of that, but I don't remeber whether this is rescue or geeks
> >that I'm replying to, so I think I will refrain.

Oh, we are in geeks.  So there was no need to refrain.

> Unfortunately, not to open the can of worms, our direction in the US
> doesn't seem to be even half as benevolent as the small Scandinavian
> social democracies.

Almost anytime the word social is used I get scared (unless it proceeded
by the words ice cream).  I believe that people are currupt enough that
those who have the ability to gain power are most often the least
qualified for the job.  Further, I think that people tend to think in the
short term rather than the long term.

These combine to make me think that the government should have as little
power as possible, and also that the amount of power someone should have
over me should be directly proportional to how much my voted counted in
the elecetion (so local elections where my vote is 1 in 10000 get more
power than national ones where my vote is 1 in 200000000).

This was how the country was originally intended to be run.  Just look at
the fact that the prohibition had to be an amendment, and you will see
this.

Now, this is the way I want a country to be run. Obviously, many people
would rather give as much control and power as they can to the guy who
promises them the most money, food, benifits, etc.  This is what leads to
nationalization.

> And I don't think it will get better anytime soon. That's the bad part.

Or good part, depending on view.  The one thing I'm not sure what to do
about are large corporations.  But, I still think that they would be
easier to handle than a corrupt government.  The problem is what happens
when the two go together (as somewhat happens here, but I don't think
irreversibly so).

> -Christof
> (not trolling, genuinely upset with the country he went and got
> disabled for)

What got you disabled?  Vietnam?  Other peace keeping mission?  Or are you
older than I'm guessing, or am I just way off? Just curious.

--
Joshua D. Boyd