[geeks] Three heads

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 10:17:45 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 04:03:13PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> the NDA is unenforceable, I can't afford to pay a lawyer to find out, so
> it is de facto enforceable.

A lot of things are that way.  I really wish they weren't.

> > If you are using IE (which I'm sure a lot of your countrymen are) it
> > shouldn't have more than 64bits (well, it should be, but mickeysoft
> > supposedly isn't allowed to give it to you due to our brain dead
> > munitions laws.)
>
> I think you're somewhat out of date there - it used to be 40 bits
> (routinely broken by using open http proxies to appear to be from the
> Land Of The Oppressors and download the US domestic release :-) but
> has been 128 bits for some time now.

I didn't know that.  Did MS get an exception, or did the US chance the
rules?

> If only we could pick and choose.  I like some aspects of EU politics and
> some of US politics, likewise technologically.  I have to confess to
> being incredibly biassed towards Europe culturally though, although this
> is quite probably due to not being exposed to any US culture worthy of
> the word - I'm sure it exists.

In general, there is a lot to be said for European culture.  The cars, the
sensible work schedule, etc.  The major thing that concerns me though is
that a) I think that culture leads to political stances, b) Europeans seem
to like stability and safety, and expect the government to provide it.

As one person said (although I'm not entirely sure they were acurate, it
does seem to kinda define the USs place in the world), not only were we
the only people gutsy enough to build the atomic bomb, we then went and
used it.

Of course, in recent years, in many areas the US seems to be heading more
towards European ways of doing things.  I'd say hopefully Bush will
reverse some of that, but I don't remeber whether this is rescue or geeks
that I'm replying to, so I think I will refrain.

> Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
>    -- Fergus Henderson

Hehe, I like that.

--
Joshua D. Boyd