[geeks] Three heads

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 09:07:14 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:52:15PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, joshua d boyd wrote:
> > A door also works well (what I use).
>
> This might not be a bad idea, but I'll have to get an exterior door; there
> is *no* way that anything less will be able to support my massive 20"
> monitor. My desk at work used to sag a little in the middle from the 20"
> and 17"; it was an average desk, but those were not average monitors. :)

I have a monstrous Sun 20" monitor (a really old one), a 17" Dell monitor,
a 15" gateway2k monitor, and a laser printer on my desk (plus stacks of
books and CDs, and it isn't bowing at all.  Now, the 20" monitor is
directly on one support and the laser is directly over the other though.

> Are you using saw horses for support or what? I'd be really buggered if
> someone bumped my "table" and everything fell in the floor.

That nearly happened to me.  Originally the set up was a door (not
exterior or solid, but of reasonable quality and solidness) with an office
pedestal (like a mini filing cabinet) on one side and a leg from an old
line printer on the other.  But the problem was, the leg needed better
support to keep it vertical, and so the screws kept getting pulled
out.  Currently, I removed the leg, and am using an an Ultimate keyboard
stand (the ones that are just a central triangular column going up at an
angle) to old up that end.

If you playkeyboards, A frame stands are OK for studios, but the only
stand to consider for performance playing are these Ultimate column
stands.  X frames aren't very stable (a major problem if you play as hard
as I used to), and besides, these Ultimate stands look far cooler, and
they aren't that expensive.

I treat my guitar pretty carefully.  I really used to play my keyboard
really hard though.  I'm surprised it took as long as it did to wear out
(7+ years).  Cost too much to replace though.  That's why I switched to
guitar.

> Something else I haven't pointed out is that an old 20" monitor generates
> a good deal of heat. I don't have much by the way of A/C at the moment.

Yeah, I have AC in my home office (central actually), but there is only
one temp sensor for the whole house (don't know where, but it certainly
isn't my office).  So, my office is always hot (relatively speaking) when
the AC is on.  When the AC is off, my office feels so much cooler than the
rest of the house (it is in the basement).  The AC is usually off.

--
Joshua D. Boyd