[geeks] tape drives, and backup speeds

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 00:20:15 CDT 2001

Hi folks!  I've been running a backup of /home since about 3:10PM today,
and it's getting close to the 4GB mark (10:10PM).  This is a HP
SureStore 2000, which takes 90m DDS tapes. Since I've got about 8GB of
data that I'd like to back up, uhm, I need something bigger and faster.
I know that people have suggested Exabyte drives, specificly the 8500,
on price and availability of tapes.  I'm scouring ebay for one at the
moment, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to do an 8GB backup in, oh, 8
hours, or if that's going to be out of the question.  Not worried about
the verify though.  The disks are capable of a lot more speed than that,
so I'm not worried that they can't keep up.  Thoughts, and/or
recomendations?
	Greg