Shivas (was Re: [geeks] Stuff I found/got at auction. What now?)

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 09:23:11 CDT 2001

>What's it trying to load? I don't have any installable software, I
>actually literally picked it out of the garbage. The only way I could
>find to connect to it was to plug it in to my lan and watch it scanning
>for something. I noted the IP and plugged a crossover cable into another
>box, telnetted in, and fixed the network info so it'd work in my world.
>I was fortunate in that root actually worked with no password. According
>to http://dtmf.org/hybrid/files/hybrid-files/shiva.txt that's because
>root doesn't appear in the userfile database, and since most admin is
>done through the main terminal it's overlooked by most small office
>admins who don't even realize it had a 'root' account. I highly
>recommend the above mentioned website, it's where I learned most of what
>I know about this thing. http://shiva.com seems to have gone away in the
>past few weeks (since the last time I looked), but they had software and
>manuals there for download. Perhaps they can be found with some digging
>around on Intel's site. I haven't had any luck with a cursory search,
>though.

Its looking for bootp/tftp.  I'm assuming that its looking for a new
firmware... I downloaded that but it didn't seem to do the trick...
or perhaps my boot server isn't config'd right.  I'd like to use this
as a administration tool for headless machines/ciscos/etc in the
closet.  If your interested I'll send you some packet captures.