[geeks] Stuff I found/got at auction. What now?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 3 09:09:59 CDT 2001

Big Endian wrote:

> ooh... I have one of these things lying around... it looks like its
> trying to load something but I can't find all the software it wants
> on intel's site.  Do you have any pointers?

What's it trying to load? I don't have any installable software, I
actually literally picked it out of the garbage. The only way I could
find to connect to it was to plug it in to my lan and watch it scanning
for something. I noted the IP and plugged a crossover cable into another
box, telnetted in, and fixed the network info so it'd work in my world.
I was fortunate in that root actually worked with no password. According
to http://dtmf.org/hybrid/files/hybrid-files/shiva.txt that's because
root doesn't appear in the userfile database, and since most admin is
done through the main terminal it's overlooked by most small office
admins who don't even realize it had a 'root' account. I highly
recommend the above mentioned website, it's where I learned most of what
I know about this thing. http://shiva.com seems to have gone away in the
past few weeks (since the last time I looked), but they had software and
manuals there for download. Perhaps they can be found with some digging
around on Intel's site. I haven't had any luck with a cursory search,
though.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask, but that dtmf.org
site's a good place to start.

---sambo