[SunHELP] boot-device

Connolly, Michael - ITT Interconnect Solutions Michael.Connolly at itt.com
Thu Feb 2 11:55:31 CST 2017

Hi all,

I have a Solaris 9 system with 3-way mirroring of OS and apps (Disksuite
4.2.1). When I set this up (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away) I set

boot-device=primary_boot altboot1 altboot2

where each of those names have a devalias in nvramrc.

I have tested the commands/boot devices individually yet manually

boot primary_boot

boot altboot1

boot altboot2

and each of them will boot from the OK prompt just fine.

However, I thought that if boot-device was set like I have it (3 different
boot devices) and say, primary_boot was dead, that Solaris would be smart
enough to automatically move down the list and try altboot1. I even swore I
tested this and it worked (in that far away galaxy).

Now, it does not. I thought this was the idea with 3 way mirroring?

Ideas? TIA

eeprom:
test-args: data not available.
diag-passes=1
pcia-probe-list=4,1
pcib-probe-list=5,6,1,2,3,4
local-mac-address?=false
fcode-debug?=false
silent-mode?=false
scsi-initiator-id=7
oem-logo: data not available.
oem-logo?=false
oem-banner: data not available.
oem-banner?=false
ansi-terminal?=true
screen-#columns=80
screen-#rows=34
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=false
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttya-rts-dtr-off=false
ttya-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
ttya-mode=9600,8,n,1,-
output-device=screen
input-device=keyboard
load-base=16384
auto-boot?=true
boot-command=boot
diag-file=disk
diag-device=disk
boot-file: data not available.
boot-device=primary_boot altboot1 altboot2
use-nvramrc?=true
nvramrc=devalias primary_boot
/pci at 8,700000/SUNW,qlc at 1/fp at 0,0/disk at w50020f230000f51a,0:a devalias altboot1
/pci at 8,700000/SUNW,qlc at 2/fp at 0,0/disk at w50020f230000b788,0:a devalias altboot2
/pci at 8,700000/SUNW,qlc at 3/fp at 0,0/disk at w50020f2300002d1d,0:a
security-mode=none
security-password: data not available.
security-#badlogins=0
diag-out-console=false
#power-cycles=74
diag-script=none
diag-level=min
diag-switch?=false
error-reset-recovery=boot

Michael J. Connolly
PLM Consultant/Solution Architect
ITT Cannon LLC
56 Technology Drive
Irvine, CA 92618
Office: 714.628.2306
Michael.Connolly at itt.com<mailto:Michael.Connolly at itt.com>
[cannon_logo_jpg]
"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message including any attachments and/or linked
documents is intended for the sole use of the intended recipient and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise
protected by law. Any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution or
copying is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
contact the original sender immediately. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this message are solely those of the individual and do
not necessarily represent those of ITT Inc.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of image001.jpg]