[SunHELP] pkgsrc on fast x86 & SPARC systems w/ Solaris 10/11

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Sun Mar 15 08:46:14 CDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 11:04:03PM +0000, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> On 14 March 2015 at 18:12,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> > Since this was posted publicly:
> >
> > http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2015-January/136346.html
> >
> > I think a pair of 6800s qualifies as a fast SPARC system as long as you can
> > take advantage of multiple threads/cores. They're free to a good home ;-)
>
> Remote shell access is sufficient :)

If you find him somebody to take them off your hands you could probably get
shell access for life from the lucky winner.

> > Out of curiosity, how much disk space does a complete pkgsrc build take and
> > how long does it take?
>
> For Solaris, I'm not sure yet as the bulk builds no longer happen for
> Solaris (hence asking)
> There's bulkbuilds on SmartOS happen regularly by Joyent and they turn
> things around on a daily? basis.

But that's x86 so I don't think we can draw any conclusions. And they
probably have top of the line boxes.

For SPARC have you asked OpenCSW? I forgot the guy's name but he seems real
helpful to anybody who wants to do builds on Solaris. I know he has more
than just OpenCSW hosted.

> An Dell R210 takes 2 days on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE running a serial
> build (you can perform parallel builds but that needs extra effort and
> is not straightforward on a platform by platform basis)
> On a G4 PowerMac running Tiger, it takes about 3 weeks to attempt the
> entire tree (http://sevan.mit.edu/packages/).
> The documentation recommends about 100GB of disk space, the built
> packages alone so far take 32GB on the G4.

Oh well. I'm low on disk space on any one box so I'm not going to be able to
help directly.

> Asking about a fast system is builds of gcc easily take a day+ (if you
> build with Java support) and there's 8 versions of GCC in pkgsrc.

I'm surprised NetBSD or gnu don't have machines available for use. I know
gnu has build farms for a lot of projects on various boxes...