[SunHELP] pkgsrc on fast x86 & SPARC systems w/ Solaris 10/11

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 18:04:03 CDT 2015

On 14 March 2015 at 18:12,  <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:
> Since this was posted publicly:
>
> http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2015-January/136346.html
>
> I think a pair of 6800s qualifies as a fast SPARC system as long as you can
> take advantage of multiple threads/cores. They're free to a good home ;-)

Remote shell access is sufficient :)

> Out of curiosity, how much disk space does a complete pkgsrc build take and
> how long does it take?

For Solaris, I'm not sure yet as the bulk builds no longer happen for
Solaris (hence asking)
There's bulkbuilds on SmartOS happen regularly by Joyent and they turn
things around on a daily? basis.
An Dell R210 takes 2 days on FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE running a serial
build (you can perform parallel builds but that needs extra effort and
is not straightforward on a platform by platform basis)
On a G4 PowerMac running Tiger, it takes about 3 weeks to attempt the
entire tree (http://sevan.mit.edu/packages/).
The documentation recommends about 100GB of disk space, the built
packages alone so far take 32GB on the G4.

Asking about a fast system is builds of gcc easily take a day+ (if you
build with Java support) and there's 8 versions of GCC in pkgsrc.

Sevan / Venture37