[SunHELP] updating zones after installcluster to inactive BE

Richie listmail at triad.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 10:02:31 CST 2013

On 1/17/2013 10:00 AM, Richie wrote:
> On a test box I created a new BE and ran installcluster -B
> s10u10_CPU2013-01 --s10patchset
>
> The new BE came up fine, but I forgot about implications of having a
> non-global zone.  I currently see a process "zoneadmd -z myzone -R
> /.alt.orig" which implies the old/original BE is mounted. I'm aware
> the old BE get mounted on new BE bootup so that lu can do some sort of
> a sync.  This has been out there for a while and i'm not sure if it is
> hung or waiting for me to do something.
>
> Is there something I need to do so the old BE gets unmounted and to
> ensure the updates get applied to the zone?
>
> I took this approach (instead of a zone detach and later reattach with
> -u option) in order to minimize downtime.
>
> TIA

Just an update.   The box is an old SF4800 running Solaris 10 update 10
and zfs root.

The verbose cluster log indicates that the zone also got patched so that
portion is not a concern.

I chose to do a reboot and for whatever reason the old BE still gets
mounted.

# ps -aef |grep .alt
     root  2610  1156   0 10:55:16 pts/1       0:00 grep .alt
     root  1269     1   0 10:51:52 ?           0:00 zoneadmd -z myzone
-R /.alt.orig

# mount |grep .alt
/.alt.orig on rpool/ROOT/s10s_u10wos_17b
read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4010009
on Thu Jan 17 10:51:50 2013
/.alt.orig/var/run on swap
read/write/setuid/devices/rstchown/xattr/dev=5e8000c on Thu Jan 17
10:51:50 2013

The zone is autoboot = false, but I have no problem starting/stopping it
on the new BE.