[SunHELP] Changing hard drives SunOS 4.1.1 Sun4c

Fredric QJ Blåholtz e5frog at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:01:04 CDT 2013

Some progress today, tried the image of the external SUN1.3 but with the
header restored from the backup/s, from an SD-card in a SCSI card reader
(that I originally bought to use with my Amiga 2000). Had to mount it in a
PCMCIA adapter as the PCMCIA slot was the one with LUN 0, so it was
actually a micro SD in an SD card adapter in an PCMCIA adapter...

Got the label right in the startup!
sd3 at esp0 target 0 lun 0
sd3: <SUN1.3G cyl 1965 alt 2 hd 17 sec 90>

A few lines down the error message:
sd3:   logical block size 0 not supported
Can't open /dev/rsd3h
etc and then one more time but for rsd3g

So is this a result of changing the four (in a row) different (from backup)
bytes in the header to $00 (as they were in the backups) or is it because
of the scsi card adapter and the stuff in there - I hope it's the hardware
and I hope this edited version will run on the 2GB hard drive when I get it.

Would have been fun to run it off a memory card though.

Does anyone have information on the label and the first 512 bytes of the
disk (what I refer to as header)? Is there a "map" for this?

/ Fredric