[SunHELP] Changing hard drives SunOS 4.1.1 Sun4c

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 01:32:10 CDT 2013

Hi Fredric

Just to confirm previous poster, 2Gb filesystems is your max (this is all from
memory, so feel free to correct me). 8 slices per disk, so max usable is 16Gb
per disk. I never used disksuite on this O/S so not sure if that would extend
(version of Veritas?).

You are correct in thinking that if you recover an image of a 1Gb disk onto a
larger disk, the system will still think you have a 1Gb disk, the label is
what is used to determine disk and slice sizes. So you can use your 9gb as a
1Gb no problem.

Any new disk can be large (I forget the limit, but > 9Gb), but limit your
slice sizes to 2Gb max.

As for dump/restore copies, after restore you would have to install a boot on
the disk. Also dump will require parameters as the default from what I
remember assumes 150Mb tape sizing.

One way to solve this is to hook up a SCSI CD (Set to SCSI ID 6) and boot
4.1.X CD and make a fresh install on new disk, then mount the old disk onto
new filesystem. Then you should be able to copy your progs across etc.

I have the ISOs for the old system,s if you need them.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Tel: 01636 627990