[SunHELP] Getting F3bitmaps in gnome-terminal on Solaris 10

Adam Victor Reed areed2 at calstatela.edu
Mon Feb 18 12:25:27 CST 2008

I like having side-by-side gnome-terminal windows on the desktop, so I
need glyph widths of 6 pixels on a 1024-pixel-wide screen and 7 pixels
on a 1280-pixel-wide screen.  When using glyphs of those widths I am
most productive with fonts

-b&h-lucida sans typewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-10-100-72-72-m-60-iso8859-1

and

-b&h-lucida sans typewriter-bold-r-normal-sans-12-120-72-72-m-70-iso8859-1

(from F3bitmaps) respectively.  I do get those fonts in gnome-terminal
on my Solaris 10 JDS desktop when I ssh to an Ubuntu 7.10 machine and
run my gnome-terminals from there.  So I know that it ought to be
possible to get them directly on the Solaris JDS desktop also.
However, getting those fonts into gnome-terminal directly on Solaris 10
has proved challenging, and I need help.

First, by default Lucida Sans Typewriter glyphs in JDS are derived
from outline fonts and anti-aliased, so if small they are hopelessly
smeared.  When I set prefer_bitmap true and antialias false for
Lucida Sans Typewriter in $HOME/.fonts.conf, I get an ugly, totally
unusable bitmap derived from the outline font, rather than the
F3bitmaps I need.

I seem to be getting the bitmaps from Ubuntu 7.10 because there are no
Lucida outline fonts there.  But just hiding the Lucida outline fonts
on Solaris 10 does not work - I still get them, even after rebooting.
My best guess is that Pango keeps its own repository of pre-processed
fonts somewhere, but I have not been able to find out how to
re-configure Pango's fonts after I hid the Lucida outline font files.
There is probably some font re-configuration script hiding in there
somewhere, but I haven't found any leads in the usual places one would
look for documentation.

I would be very grateful for leads either to what needs to be done, or
to relevant documentation.  With many thanks,

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2 at calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.