[SunHELP] Sun sparcstation10 & compactflash

Mark Benson markbenson at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 17:00:35 CST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 17:39, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: lz <lordzorcon at yahoo.com>
> "
> " hey list-
> "
> " I have a little sparc 10 here, and I want to swap the disk for
> something a little less "moving". I was looking at this thing:
> " ACARD ARS-2000FU IDE to Ultra SCSI
> " (http://4onlineshop.stores.yahoo.net/arulscbrfdef.html)
> "
> " and plugging it into this guy:
> " CompactFlash (CF) to 40-pin IDE Adapter
> " (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CF2IDE-35-BULK)
> "
> " I have the CF adapter, so I'd like to use it, but I haven't picked
> up the ACARD yet.
> "
> " I'd like to know, does anyone have any experience with the ACARD
> with a sparc10? I'm running Solaris, but I could just as easily be
> running OpenBSD. Will it work? Will it boot?
>
> which version solaris?  8 might support cf, but 2.6 won't.  i'm not
> sure even 10 can boot from it.

I've successfully used an ACARD SCSIDE (ATA-33 to 50-pin) bridge with
a 120GB convetional IDE disk in a U10. It worked just fine.

It is irrelevant what version of Solaris you use as the ACARD adapters
are transparent - the device just reports as a SCSI disk of xMB in size.

I'm eager to know if it works myself. A CF booting U10 with the swap
partition on a small, quiet hard drive would make a really nice retro
SPARC workstation :) My SCSIDE adapter is surplus to requirements and
I have an IDE - CF board knocking about.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>