[SunHELP] JDS/Gnome Open... Dialog bug?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Feb 8 10:31:16 CST 2008

" From: Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa at mcw.edu>
"
" On Solaris 10, when I open a folder with lots of files, it takes several
" minutes.  CDE was slow too, but this is much slower.  Has anyone found a
" fix for this.  And, it also pops up in the Adobe Reader since it uses
" those widgets.  Thankfully, many apps use their own Open... dialog.

i have heard many rambling rants about how poorly coded gnome is -
hundreds of redundant screen redraws in a single program for example,
the result of countless myopic scratch-my-itch linux programmers with
no interest in the larger picture.  at one point you had to have an
entire working gnome already in order to compile a new rev, because
the dependency graph had cycles in it...

i know someone at sun went through the code and cleaned it up -a-lot-
in porting it to solaris, but perhaps he just couldn't get it as good
as cde [fwiw].  i know it's porkier.