[SunHELP] How can I find the default ether (MAC) address of an interface?

Adam Victor Reed areed2 at calstatela.edu
Sat Mar 10 23:53:32 CST 2007

After installing Solaris 10 on a machine with two network interfaces,
I noticed that they are running with the same ether (MAC) address:

# ifconfig -a ether
lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
ce0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
        ether 8:0:20:e9:e:6
hme0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
        ether 8:0:20:e9:e:6

I would like each interface to have its own, separate and different
ether address.  Preferably the actual hardware default (factory) MAC
address of each.  But I never wrote down their original MAC addresses.
How can I find out what their original (factory) MAC addresses were?

Many thanks,

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2 at calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.