[SunHELP] Allow direct console login when root is an RBAC role.

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:43:53 CDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm trawling through docs to see if what I'm trying here is feasible
but I thought I'd pick the brains available here in case it's already
been done by someone.

I'm looking in to switching the root user to an RBAC role on a couple
of systems. Switching root to a role and enabling select users access
to this role is easy enough. What I'm wondering though is is there a
way to bypass the RBAC auth checks for console logins?

I've encountered times where systems are running low on resources and
the only way to get on a box and troubleshoot has been as root on the
console, obviously if root's a role then I'd need to login as a normal
user and su which may not be feasible in extreme cases.

Is there some incantation can be added to /etc/security/auth_attr or
/etc/user_attr to bypass RBAC? This is Solaris 10 BTW.

Thanks,

Will.