[SunHELP] Sun Blade 6000 systems

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 10:10:41 CDT 2007

Blade servers are nice in concept - but from a data
center perspective - thay are a nightmare as far as
btu output is concerned.  Yes they are "smaller", take
up less rack space etc - but for the compactness in
size - you are squeezing more ram (heat generation)
into a smaller foot print.  Processors are getting so
much better in power comsumption - but ram is not!
And all newer boxes are requiring more ram.

I've recently been in a large center where they are
collapsing into a large number of blade servers - both
wintel & sun - yes the room is now half empty - but
they have exceeded the electrical capacity of the room
as they are now eating it all in extra cooling for the
larger btu output of the blade racks versus the sun &
wintel servers in standalone racks that they replaced.

Just my random .02 thought - measure the btu output.

regards
steve