[SunHELP] Remote printers

Martin Frost martin at omniconsumerproducts.com
Fri Jun 8 06:33:49 CDT 2007

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Werth, Dave wrote:

> We have a Solaris 7 system with our ERP software.  Most of the printers
> are HP LJ's that I set up using JetDirect Printer Installer for UNIX
> Version E.10.34.

You might like to try without using JetDirect. Most JetDirect-capable HP
printers can also support lpd printing. This normally needs enabling via
the printer admin interface (telnet or web depending on age of printer).

Once this is enabled on the printer you can print to the lpd interface
using queue AUTO, which automatically detects plain text and PostScript.
Some more modern printers even seem to accept PDFs on the lpd interface.

You can set this up on a host by executing:

	lpset [-n ...] -absdaddr=<host>,AUTO <name>

I have been using this successfully for some time. The JetDirect drivers
for Solaris don't seem to be supported any more, and aren't available for
Solaris x86, so I had to find an alternative.

Martin