[SunHELP] Reconfiguring an A1000

Werth, Dave dave.werth at garmin.com
Tue May 23 18:39:48 CDT 2006

Folks,

We have an E450 running Solaris 2.7 with an attached A1000.  The A1000
currently has eight 9 GB drives and two 18 GB drives.  Five of the 9 GB
drives are configured in a RAID 5 array, two are RAID 1 (mirrored) and the
two 18 GB drives are also RAID 1.  We have one 9 GB hot spare.  We use Raid
Manager 6 to administrate this.  (I know this is old stuff but it works for
us.)

On Friday we will be removing all of the 9 GB drives are adding nine 18 GB
drives for a total of eleven 18 GB drives.  One will be a hot spare and my
plan at the moment is to configure the rest into two 5 disk RAID 5's (but
I'm open to suggestions if you have a better way) but I don't plan on
changing the logical structure of the LUN's/file systems, just increasing
the size of each.  One other thing, the only software on these file systems
is our ERP system and Oracle databases, no system stuff (not even the Oracle
executables) which is on a mirrored set in the E450 itself.

So my plan is to:
*	Shut down Oracle and the other active software.
*	Run a full backup
*	Unmount the file systems and delete the configurations using RM6
*	Shut down the system and A1000 and change out the drives.
*	Reboot the system and reconfigure and remount the new drives
*	Restore the backup
*	Reboot the system and make sure everything is ok.
*	Go home :-)

Since I don't do this very often I hope some of you may have
comments/suggestions about my plan or at least confirm that it's a good
plan.

Thanks, Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth at garmin.com

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation