[SunHELP] disk inquiry question

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:17:34 CDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Cynthia Leacock <cleacock at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm just trying to verify whether the disk is bad or not.
>   I got this email
>   Failures have been detected by the VERITAS Volume Manager:
>   failed disks:
>   disk02
>   The Volume Manager will attempt to find spare disks, relocate failed subdisks and then recover the data in the failed plexes.

If the disk is controlled by a Logical Volume Manger, you not only
have to figure out if the disk is bad, you also have to figure out why
the LVM thinks it is bad if it's not, and also whether the disk has
been properly replaced in the volume.

Go look in /var/adm/messages--if the box has been configured with
syslog logging kernel errors, then disk problems will show up
there--they will be hardware errors referring to /dev entries.

You *do not* want to use "normal" fsck on a Veritas volume if you are
using VxFS--you need to use the Veritas tools.  My advice would be to
call Veritas support to walk you through dealing with this error,
assuming you have support.  It's pretty easy to shoot yourself in the
foot if you don't know Veritas.

For instance, you can't just pull the disk out and swap in another.
You have to run Veritas commands to remove the disk from the volume
pool, then replace it and add the new disk back to the pool.  You may
also want to rearrange the data, if the volume has been "fixed" with a
hot spare that is in a non-optimum location.

If you don't have support, then I'd advise googling for "Veritas
replace bad disk" or similar.

=Nadine=