[SunHELP] disk inquiry question

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Mon Jun 26 18:39:51 CDT 2006

> what is the equivalent of diskinfo in solaris.  I think I have a bad
> disk and I am trying to figure out to to tell if the disk has gone
> bad.
>
> I did google and I saw doing fsck on the disk.  Doing this I would
> have to boot up in single user mode right?  Is that the only way?

You may get some useful information from iostat -E by looking at the
error count. If a disk is really fried, it may appear as a undetermined
type in the listing produced by the format command. dmesg may show you
disk errors as well.

The Unix Rosetta Stone (http://bhami.com/rosetta.html) says that prtvtoc
in Solaris is equivalent to diskinfo in HP-UX. But prtvtoc prints the
partition map and geometry, and I think you may be looking for more than
that.

Steve