[SunHELP] Terminal Server / SC Management recommendations?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 14:36:28 CST 2006

On 1/12/06, David Stipp <dstipp at coolhack.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 12:37:13AM -0500, velociraptor wrote:
> > I think they are worth the extra--but make sure you get good cables
> > for them.  You *can* get the "break" problem with cheap cables.
>
> RE: Breaks and Sun machines:
>
> The easiest thing to do to ``fix'' the break problem is to enable the
> alternate break sequence.
>
> See http://sysunconfig.net/unixtips/alternate_break_sequence.txt  for
> information on this.  (sunsolve docid 20427)
>
> After powercycling the supposedly ``break safe'' Digi portserver II
> boxes in the machine room at work during a maintaince window and halting
> every sun machine in there, I set this on everything and haven't had a
> problem since.

I had a long conversation with a Lantronix support engineer after
something similar happened to us.  He said the only way it would
happen is a) bad ports on the Lantronix, or b) bad cables.  Since
half the boxes did not go to "ok" and I knew the cables to be hand-
made, I blamed the cables.

We are in the process of relocating our equipment to a new data-
center.  In the process, we bought pre-made cables in a different
color, and with these attached to the Lantronix, I bounced the
SCS several times, with no ill effect.  However, another SA
*unplugged* a cable from one server and it went to "ok", hence
my warning.

I know about the alternate break sequence, but am not in a
position to make that change at the moment.

=Nadine=