[SunHELP] steps to install oracle 8 database on solaris 8 $ 9

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 20:51:47 CDT 2005

On 10/18/05, syed shuja <shujju_syed at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> can u send me the steps to install oracle 8 on solaris
> 9 and solaris 8...

Are you the sysadmin, the dba or a developer? There are different
guides for different roles. Depends if the OS was setup already,
kernel, partitions.

You also didn't specify the architecture (x86 or sparc, 32 or 64 bit),
or what filesystem and if you are using Veritas, if you are using a
SAN, if you are using raw etc. Each have their own guide.

Also, assuming you are talking about the database server and not the
client, starting on Oracle 8 this late in the game is probably not
wise... If you want to learn Oracle, get on something a little more
current. EOL is not far for 8, so by the time you know enough to run
an instance live, you are in a forced upgrade mode, and that is just
not cool.

Of course, it could be you are stuck with an antique piece of software
that wont run on Oracle 9+. I feel for you if that's the case, being
in unsupported territory.

Finally, the Oracle guides are clear and easy to follow and are
available thru OTN. It is extremely unwise to bring up a database
without reading those.

Ciao,
Francois