[SunHELP] writing home

Matthew Weigel unique at idempot.net
Tue Jun 21 15:18:06 CDT 2005

Grindell, Joan M. said:

> I have a peculiar problem.  I just installed Solaris 2.9 and applied
> patches.  I then tried to add a user directory to /home as root and am
> denied.

I believe Sun expects you to add user homes to /export/home/$user, and set
up automounting.  I bit the bullet and did that; I can't remember which of
the following were already set up and which I did, but:

/etc/auto_master has the line
/home                             auto_home                -nobrowse

and /etc/auto_home has lines of the form
$user $host:/export/home/$user

When I log in, my homedir is /home/unique - but only when I'm logged in.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker
 unique at idempot.net